Monday, February 25, 2013

Day 8: Camp Nom Nom

Day 8 of 30

It's Monday. Hard to function and get back into it all. Weekends are slow here at Our Children's House. And by slow, I mean that there's fewer people around and we have a less rigorous schedule. But by no means is it quiet. Oh, no. Not with all the visiting families. There's another family with twins and from Houston, but only one of the twins is here. We've connected right away, as you need to, since other families are the ones that truly understand you. However, the parallels between our families are eerie. Our identical twin girls are Sophia and Olivia, theirs are Sofia and Aliyah. Of course we both have one of them on the G-tube, since we're both here, but the "healthy" one have similar personalities - somewhat diva, carefree and slightly neglected. Since we are the same age, the dad, Ben, went to Stafford High School and knows a lot of people from Dulles. Both moms worked in ministry before the twins. I feel like the only difference is that they have a 5-yr-old son, too. It's a little eerie, but I just like to say that God has finally crossed the parallel paths and it's for good reason. We've already arranged for playdates once we get back to Houston.


So Monday. Olivia took a little dip in volume over the weekend but Monday morning she was ready to go! She ate a BIG breakfast and was super happy to have her regular feeders again. She is definitely taking more in and wants to eat outside of the feeding room. She points to whatever I am eating and says "mooo!" I take that to mean "more" and to feed her. Boot camp only allows her water between meals and anything she wants after dinner. She always wants to partake in my dinner, so I usually give her soup with nothing chunky and she takes several spoonfuls. Can I be a happier mommy?

Today they had a chef come in and make cake pops with the kids. Not just any cake pops, Elmo and Cookie Monster ones. Of course I can make cake pops anytime but when it's all ready for me... why not? Well, Olivia wasn't too interested except in the frosting, which she licked (!) and throwing the candy on the floor. I attempted to make it, but now I know why I only trust myself to make it from beginning to end. The cake ball completely fell apart as I was spreading the frosting, and it would have been an instant toss-out if I was at home. I went ahead and made them, for no reason but to have proof we did something fun... I hope none of my baking buddies see this! Knowing me, I'll go home and make some proper Elmo and Cookie Monster cake pops. 



God has shown us an amazing amount of grace. Not that I've ever doubted that He's given us anything but blessings, but I've seen some of what other people have to go through and I get hit by how much mercy He extends to us. I've been so amazed by what Olivia can do and if she was any different, I'd never see how wondrous a gift she's been. And it makes me appreciate Sophie more, too. She's a beautiful, healthy, albeit spoiled, child. I miss my Sophie.

Food log:
2/25
Session 1: 45g (!!)
Session 2: 30g
Session 3: 32g
Session 4: 31g

Liquids log:
2/25
Session 1: 15g
Session 2: 10g
Session 3: 10g
Session 4: 27g

1 comment:

  1. You guys have a pseudo son name Nicholas, and feel free to borrow him anytime to playdate with the 5 year old from your parallel family! The girls have a Nicholas big bro.

    ReplyDelete